Protect24 retrofitted fire safety sprinklers saved the life of a bed bound pensioner in Manchester – and made national news.
The Daily Mirror reported how pensioner Eunice Kelly was saved by a single sprinkler after fire broke out in her ground floor apartment.
Firefighters rescued her from her apartment in the early hours of the morning but the blaze had already been extinguished by the sprinklers.
The 82-year-old is a resident in a property which has recently been retrospectively fitted by Protect24 fire safety measures, which included sprinklers to each residential home.
Her daughter Angela Barton, 59, was has no doubts that the Protect24 sprinkler system saved her mothers life.
She said: “I could have been organising a funeral. All blocks need sprinklers. That is what saved my mum.”
The Daily Mirror have recently launched the ‘Never Again’ campaign in conjunction with the Fire Brigades Union. They are demanding action for people living in high rise social housing developments, following the Grenfell Tower tragedy.
Mrs Kelly was one of the fortunate ones. Her home at the ten-storey Enfield House in Eccles, Greater Manchester, is owned and operated by City West Housing Trust, part of the ForViva Group.
ForViva recently invested £5million retrofitting fire sprinklers and fire safety packages for residents living in 17 of their their properties in Greater Manchester and Liverpool.
Protect24 are the leading industry specialist in providing bespoke fire safety packages for owners of high rise accommodation for social housing tenants. They completed the work on schedule and on budget.
Protect24 Managing Director Mark Lyons, added: “Sprinklers save lives. We believe every high-rise should have them.
“This could have been a disaster. It does not bear thinking about what might have happened had that property not had sprinklers.
“Fortunately Mrs Kelly escaped with minor injuries but it could have been much worse. We wish her a speedy recovery.”
Mrs Barton’s condition means she would have been unable to leave her home without help and without sprinklers, the fire would almost certainly have taken hold. None of the other residents in the 57 properties were affected.
ForViva Assets director Mark Lowe said: “This single situation has made the investment worthwhile.”
Firefighters raced to the 10-storey Enfield House in Eccles, Gtr Manchester, at 03.45 on June 8.
Five fire engines from Eccles, Stretford, Sale and Agecroft, along with the turntable ladder from Manchester Central and support from Irlam attended.
Mrs Kelly was found to be suffering from smoke inhalation and burns and was taken to hospital by the ambulance.
Fire crews used four breathing apparatus, one hose reel, a positive pressure ventilation fan, lighting, breaking in gear and trauma care to deal with the incident.
Hours later fire at a housing block in Barking resulted in the total destruction of 20 apartments with damage to a further 10 properties. Fire spread from an outside balcony over six floors of the De Pass Gardens tower block. No sprinklers were fitted at the property.
* To learn more about Protect24 visit the website via this link
* To discuss marketing and media opportunities regarding Protect24 click this link.